Sunday, July 14, 2013

The ups and downs of a virtual life



This is a blog without guile or thoughts on the style. Yes, certainly not for SEO or traffic purposes. And yes, I won’t be showing this to clients if I want to offer my services as content strategist. This one here is without guile, just me, writing what comes inside my mind talking and contemplating on things so that I can uplift my spirit. And yes, I also have this wishful thinking that I can uplift your spirit too.

So like drinking buddies, we sit around the table talking about nonsense things but contented on the company that we have. I prefer to have wonderful conversation with a cup of coffee, frappe actually, on hand sipping it, extending it for hours. The longer I have to coffee the more topics we can talk about.

And I love talking about possibilities online. That is all that I can think of right now. I feel I am in love and I can’t eat and sleep (well, the latter more prevalent than the first one) thinking about how wonderful online is.
But I am not techie. I am not into gadgets. I don’t own iphone and I do my online gigs using my hp mini.

What I love online is the opportunity it provides for a lot of people such as moms like me. Imagine, because I can work online, I can work at home. I am working while my baby sat on my lap trying to get my hands off the keyboard. It is an image to behold.

Yes, I have to shoo them away when I have to write but most of the time, one or both of my kids can be found sitting on my lap or beside me while I am working. This is totally amazing.

But having a virtual career is scary because everything is happening within this small corner of my mini laptop. The idea that you can’t hold one position for long and the change is quite abrupt… funny though, I was fired quite abruptly too from my offline position. In fact, the last work I have offline lasted only three months and barely. A month later, I got this position as a VA and been doing this for almost six months. Amazing…

Working online, you will need to have courage, confidence in your own capabilities, flexibility, discipline, determination and most of all imagination. You will need to be creative enough to constantly evolve. When clients go, you will need to land on both feet so you can jump higher than the last time.

Everything is movement online.

You go for an idea. You dream it, build it and make it come true. It is not easy, but you can be who you want to be online. If you are an ordinary nurse, you can be extra ordinary health adviser online. If you are a bored guidance counselor, you can be an awesome psychiatrist online encouraging changes on people’s lives.

The possibility is limitless and all in the spirit of fun.

Of course, that won’t be at all times. As for me, I got cold feet. I was sure I was ready to start my own thing and be awesome online. I feel awesome thinking about it too. But thinking is so different from doing because doing can be exhausting. And if you do both at the same time, you will end up losing all the energy you need to launch.

But hey, as my online friend said, “Nothing Usome is build overnight”. So yeah, I go on. One small step, when I can, I make. And when I have enough energy, I leap too.

One thing that assures me with what I do is that there is no failure if you explore. This is the moment when it is the climb that is the big win and that when you have reach the peak, it I just when you are resting so you can go down and get grounded to find other peaks to climb again.

The feeling is just all up, even when I am feeling down.

This is because the possibilities are just all there and they continue to amaze me. The connection that I have with people from different places makes me happy. The opportunity of learning from working with people who make organizing actually fun and a way of life made me dream more and act more.

So I don’t really stay stumbled for long.

I can’t, not with all these staring at me telling me what is there to be sad for, or to be afraid for in that matter? When I chose to leap, I learned to take on challenges. Yes, admittedly I was filled with bravado but I was also filled with a great desire to work, to follow a career online and to be awesome at what I do.

So all in all, I am happy. Scared at times, but mostly happy.

And now, your time to share
 
What is it that one thing you are passionate about online? Share by writing a comment below. I would love reading about it from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment